Thursday 9 April 2009

I have a dream...

I was sat at work, bored senseless (a normal occurrence), daydreaming. I was trying to think of ways out of my office-induced misery. It was a lovely spring day outside – blue sky, bright sun and a gentle breeze just enough to make the newly blossomed trees tremble – the sort of day that you could wander around in a t-shirt and feel the sun warm your skin against the chill of the breeze. “How can this be right?” I thought. “How is it that I’m stuck behind a desk with poor posture, atrophying and a mere spectator in what is happening outside of this sterile monument to another man’s dream?!”.

Then, from nowhere, it hit me, and I’ve no idea how or why. Dry Stone Walling. My mind spun off in a flurry of excitement at an imagined new future. Me, out on some fell, maintaining part of our natural heritage. Creating something that will stand long beyond my time. Firstly I imagine a day like today – working out in the sun – beautiful greens and browns all around me – shadows dance along the ground as the clouds roll across a picture perfect sky. I stop for a break – sitting propped against my labour surveying my workplace – a landscape that office folk have to resort to calendars and holiday snaps pinned to their cubicle walls to find.. But, what about the other seasons? It’s not all sunny days, far from it, so I imagine this – easy to do having experienced it. I’ve got the right gear for the job so the wind and rain doesn’t bother me too much. The harshness of the conditions actually brings me closer in-tune with the landscape around me. I stop for a break in the cab of my Land Rover, heater on, a flask of soup – a brief respite in a cocoon of warmth and solitude. Except, maybe, for a dog – yes, Paddy, my Border Collie would love this…or (and let’s face it, Paddy’s getting on and the injustice of a shorter life span than humans does mean he’s not going to be around forever) any other dog that I might have in future (I can’t imagine life without a dog). Or maybe, in years to come, my kids have come out with me, during the school holidays, or maybe even as apprentices.

Oh yes – this sounds good…and I can do it on my own, be my own boss. But what about work? Is there enough? Does it pay enough? Well, I’ve already decided that money isn’t everything – quality of life is where it’s at. I’m always hearing that it’s a trade in decline, yet in demand – miles of walls need repairing, I know the MOD own huge estates which need to be maintained. There’s a rising interest in all things ecological and we know that these walls become the habitats for a myriad of wildlife. Then there’s gardens – people like a nice crafted look for their gardens – and the skill can easily be adapted for commissions – benches, tables, art pieces. Surely there’s enough work around….and being your own boss, success is in your hands. Oh, and there’s my training background…if I’m good I could run courses…for office folk who want to come out to play and experience life outside of purgatory.

And it’s physical. The human body is an amazing thing. It’s been honed over millions of years to be able to do extraordinary things, yet what do most of us do with it? Abuse it and exercise little more than our fingers every day…what a disgrace. I spend a lot of my spare time trying to make best use of my body through exercise, trying to slow the slide created by the sedentary world around us.

Is it possible that I can break away? Get a new life doing something completely different and something that feels more like life than work?

That’s the question, and that’s what this blog is about. Here, I’ll be documenting my efforts to pursue this potential change in work and life. I’ve kept another blog for a couple of years now, documenting my love affair with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and have found it a useful way of staying focussed, reviewing what I’ve done, and, maybe, giving some information to others that may find it interesting or useful. This seems like another adventure that I’d like to record. You’re welcome along for the ride.

I’m not expecting this to be quick or easy, so updates will be as and when I have something to tell. No doubt there’ll be an initial flurry of thoughts, then large gaps where life, as it currently stands, gets in the way of progress, but I will try and add thoughts and articles on related topics to keep it varied and interesting.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has been through a similar journey and especially anyone that's already in this line of work...I'm hoping that I find an open, helpful, friendly trade with people willing to pass on advice and help.

Check back soon – take care.


Al

No comments:

Post a Comment